Professor Ponnampalam Gopalakrishnakone1
1SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Singapore, Singapore
Experience of Singapore Institute of Technology(SIT) Institutional review Board(IRB) from the inception to a fully functional board was a very valuable lesson worth sharing in a broader context. SIT as an Institution of higher learning(IHT) is adopting a concept of applied learning and applied research in comparison to the other IHT’s in Singapore. Compliance of the staff and students of SITto the various Laws, Rules and regulations governing the aspects of research.
Rapid evolution of Personal Data Protection(PDPA, Privacy) Laws and amendments as well as Human Biomedical Act(HBRA) and Human Biomedical Research regulations(HBRR) are the main regulations which governs HBR.
SIT staff and students collaborates with many organizations ,such as restructured hospitals nationally as well as internationally mainly in the ASEAN and Asian nations.
Privacy laws and Human biomedical research laws are being develop and enacted in various parts in this region and they are at varying stages of adoption and implementation. So, it is crucial that SIT Staff and students who are going to do collaborative research in this region should abide by the laws and rules of that country.
In this presentation the data protection activities(Privacy compliance)such an enacting laws and regulations and their developmental stage will be summarized in the following countries in this region:
Singapore,Hong Kong,India,Philippines,Malaysia,Indonesia,Thailand,Taiwan and China.
(This was part of my study for my “Advanced diploma in data protection “awarded by Singapore Management University)
Curriculum Vitae – Ponnampalam Gopalakrishnakone
Name: Dr. Ponnampalam Gopalakrishnakone
Cluster: Health and Social Sciences
Office Address: Level 3, University Resource Centre
Office Tel Number: 6592 6797
Email Address: Gopal.Krishnakone@SingaporeTech.edu.sg
- DSc, National University of Singapore, 1998
- PhD in Physiology, University of London, 1979
- MBBS, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ceylon, 1971
- May 2015‐ Present, Professor, Health & Social Sciences Cluster,SIT
- July 2014 – Present, Emeritus Professor, Dept of Anatomy, NUS
- Dec 1998 – July 2014, Professor, Dept of Anatomy, NUS
- Jul 1991 – Nov 1998, Assoc Professor, Dept of Anatomy, NUS
- Jul 1984 – Jun 1991, Senior Lecturer, Dept of Anatomy, NUS
- Jul 1982 – Jul 1984, Lecturer, Dept of Anatomy, NUS
Awards / Prizes
- Group Performance Award for the Achievement in Detection of Botulinum Toxin – Defence
- Science Organization National Laboratory, 2004
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award – National University of Singapore, 2003 – 2004
- Excellent Teacher Award – National University of Singapore, 2003 – 2004
- Excellence in Research Award – National University of Singapore, 2003
- Honorary Medal Award – Ministry of Health, Vietnam, 2002
- Outstanding University Researcher Award – National University of Singapore, 1998
- Member, Int’l Soc on Toxinology Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore)
- Fellow of Academy of Medicine (FAMS),College of Surgeons, Academy of Medicine (Singapore)